How to delete a user account in Windows
Software: Windows 7, 8 & 10 | Last modified on 2018-06-18
Deleting a user account is permanent. Make sure that you create backups if you want to preserve the personal data of a user account!
Learn how to delete a user account in Windows with a few simple steps.
[Solution 1] Use the Settings app - Windows 10 only
- Open the Settings app and click Accounts.
- Click Family & other people.
- Select the user account you want to permanently delete and click Remove.
- Click Delete account and data to delete the user account.
[Solution 2] Use the Control Panel
- Open the Control Panel and click User Accounts.
- Open Add or remove user accounts and click Manage another account.
- Select the user account you want to delete and click Delete the account.
- Choose to either delete or keep the files and click Delete Account to finish the process.
[Solution 3] Use the Netplwiz panel
- Open Run and execute Netplwiz
- Tick the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer setting.
- Select the user account you want to delete and click Remove.
- Click Yes if you want to permanently delete this user account.
[Solution 4] Use the Command Prompt / PowerShell
- Open the Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin).
- Execute net user "User" /delete
Replace User with the name of the user account you want to delete.
- The message The command completed successfully will appear, confirming that the user account was deleted.