Metered network connection warning in Outlook
Software: Office 2010, 2013 & 2016 | Last modified on 2018-06-18
A message appears in Outlook: 'We noticed a metered connection you're on may charge extra. Outlook is working offline to prevent data charges'.
[Solution 1] Turn off metered connections
- Open the Settings app.
- Open Network & Internet and click Wifi.
- Open Manage known networks.
- Select the network you're connected to and open Properties.
- Change the Metered Connection setting to Off.
- Restart the Outlook app.
[Solution 2] Turn off metered connections in the Registry
- Open Run and execute Regedit.
- Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \NetworkList \DefaultMediaCost.
- Value 1 means it is an unmetered network connection and value 2 means it is a metered network connection.
- Change the value to your preferred setting.
- Restart the computer.